Childrens Law Solicitors

Our Family Law Solicitors represent parents, grandparents, aunties, uncles, in-laws, foster parents and other relatives in connection with a range cases involving children:

  • where children should live
  • who they should live with
  • who should be responsible for looking after them.

Living arrangements for children used to be referred to as custody orders, but the Courts recently changed these to Residence Orders, a Residence Order decides where and with whom a child should live.

It is only necessary for a court to decide this if the parents cannot agree but sometimes an order is needed to give some other adult parental responsibility, such as a relative who is actually caring for a child and would not otherwise have any legal status.

There is no law that states that children should live with their mother rather than their father, although that is more common. Also, if there is an arrangement already in place the Courts will be reluctant to change this. Courts will try to avoid splitting children up if at all possible.

Generally speaking, both parents have important roles to play in their children's upbringing. It is not one-sided but for the children's sake, parents need to come up with something that will work for the children, not the parents. It does not mean that 'shared care' means 'equal care.'

In all these types of cases, including cases which involve Social Services, we can represent you and give you expert, specialist, family law advice.

Contact our Family Department if you need advice about a Residence Order, or going to Court concerning a case involving a child whether it be your child or a child in your family or with whom you may be connected in some way.